People sometimes assume that Iceland is covered in snow and ice all year round because of its name. Depending on where you are, this isn’t the case for most of the year. However when the winter does come, the snow and ice often come in abundance and it’s cold and dark for most of the time.
Fortunately the people in Iceland are the warmest I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and when the sun does rise, the long shadows mingling with the the warmest of golden yellow light on crisp white snow is truly beautiful.
In Winter, I Collapse – Instrumental Ambient Music Video, featuring the beautiful landscapes of Iceland.
Written, performed & produced by Stephen Caulfield. Taken from the album, To the Lighthouse. Available here:
“I appreciate your concern. None of this is your fault. It’s me. It’s me and my head. In winter, I collapse.” Virginia Woolf – Letter to Violet Dickinson, January 1909
Video directed and edited by Stephen Caulfield. All footage filmed on my phone in the beautiful country of Iceland. I hope you enjoy the Icelandic scenery and nature.
I found the Icelandic landscape to be particularly inspiring when making the music for To the Lighthouse. In the specific case of this song – the middle of winter.
Specific locations featured:
- 00:00 – Drekkingarhylur, Þingvellir National Park, Bláskógabyggð, South West Iceland – December 2018
- 00:14 – Reynisfjara, Vik, South Iceland – December 2018
- 00:29 – Öxarárfoss, Þingvellir National Park, Bláskógabyggð, South West Iceland – December 2018
- 00:44 – Kirkjufjara Beach, Vik, South Iceland – December 2018
- 00:59 – Seljalandsfoss, South Iceland – December 2018
- 01:13 – Dyrhólaey, Vik, South Iceland – December 2018
- 01:28 – Skógafoss, Skógar, South Iceland – December 2018
- 01:43 – Þingvellir National Park, Bláskógabyggð, South West Iceland – December 2018
- 01:58 – Ægissíðufoss, Hella, South Iceland – December 2018
- 02:11 – Drekkingarhylur, Þingvellir National Park, Bláskógabyggð, South West Iceland – December 2018
Primary instrumentation used to create the music:
- Native Instruments Reaktor 6
- Eventide Pitch Factor
- Various field recordings made in Iceland
The following artists and labels were of particular inspiration when making To the Lighthouse:
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Ólafur Arnalds, Sigur Rós, Jónsi & Alex Somers, A Winged Victory for the Sullen, Stars of the Lid, Hildur Guðnadóttir, David Sylvian, Björk, Anne Dudley, Nils Frahm, Max Richter, Kiasmos, The 1975, Brian Eno, Erased Tapes, Dirty Hit, Bella Union, One Little Indian, Deutsche Grammophon